Our training agencies, SDI and NAUI*, value and respects the knowledge, skills and abilities of their instructors. As such, SDI and NAUI instructors are authorized and can be approved to teach every level of diving in which they possess the training, knowledge and experience. Additionally, they both allow and encourage their instructors to develop their own “instructor specified” specialty courses. If you are someone who seeks even more adventure and specialization, SDI and NAUI provide pathways to gaining Public Safety Diver, Technical and Freediving Instructor ratings.
The Diver’s World Instructor Training Course (ITC) is designed to train and qualify SDI/NAUI Instructor member applicants. During the course candidate instructors learn effective methods to teach skin and scuba diving in compliance with agency and WRSTC diving course standards.
The course assures agency membership that candidates who receive certification as Diver’s World Instructors have the knowledge, skills, fitness and proper attitude to do so.
Qualifications of Graduates
Upon successful completion of this course, graduates may teach Open Water Scuba Diver, Inactive Diver/Refresher course, Advanced Adventure Diver Specialty, Computer Diver specialty, Rescue Diver, Divemaster and Assistant Instructor courses (where local law
Additional specialty instruction is achievable through either agency per their standards.
*note: Diver’s World offers either/both SDI and NAUI Leadership Courses. Candidates are encouraged to contact Diver’s World to determine which program is being offered as well as the pros and cons of each.
- Minimum age is 18 years by the water phase of the course.
- Current certification as an SDI/NAUI Assistant Instructor or NAUI Divemaster or other agency leaders*.
- Current certification First Aid/CPR for Dive Professionals or equivalent.
- Current certification as an Oxygen Provider or equivalent.
- Certified as a NAUI Nitrox Diver or equivalent.
- A minimum of 60 logged open water scuba dives with a minimum of 30 hours bottom time. Dives shall be varied in environment, depth, and activities.
- Instructor candidates must pass the NAUI Instructor Prequalification Examination prior to the start of the ITC.
- Medical Approval – Verification of good physical condition as documented by a medical examination and unconditional approval for diving by a licensed physician within the preceding 12 months.
*Students are required to have an SDI or NAUI Leadership certification or equivalent certification from other WRSTC recognized agency. You may be asked to complete a basic skills review if you hold a PADI OW certification. The Instructor Trainer or Course Director is to ensure adequate student knowledge and capability before any open water training and shall use skill or other evaluations to do so. One open water dive (which does not count toward the minimum number of dives required for the course) may be used as a screening and evaluation dive. This is not required when the student’s diving proficiencies are well known to the Instructor Trainer or Course Director.
INCLUDED IN CLASS TUITION
Your class fee will cover the costs of class, SDI or NAUI training materials, pool rental, your Instructors and Dive Master.
Students will need to provide all of their own equipment. Part of this course includes an evaluation of the students equipment fitness as a NAUI Leader.
Upon satisfactory completion of the ITC, you will have to pay for your Agency membership and show proof of Professional Liability Insurance to become a fully authorized instructor.