This Cylinder Inspection Course is designed to promote safety in the care and maintenance of high-pressure scuba cylinders. The VIP program is intended to demonstrate to the scuba industry, a need to meet and exceed the minimum standards established by the Code of Federal Regulations. In addition, it is intended to train inspectors in the proper handling, filling, and inspection techniques, including the identification of the various defective conditions that can lead to cylinder rejection or condemnation. The course will also cover the operation and repair of valves, cleaning and maintenance and the operation of high pressure compressor systems.
note: the SDI VIP certification counts towards a single specialty rating to achieve the SDI Advanced Diver Development Program.
The SDI Visual Inspections Procedures course takes an in-depth look at all of the following and more:
- Legal requirements, standards of the community
- Safe handling of cylinders
- Fill station operator rules and recommendations
- Identification of the various cylinder markings
- Legal/illegal filling requirements
- Filling procedures
- Tools and their uses
- Visual inspection indications
- Proper identification of the various defect conditions
- Criteria for rejection and condemnation of a cylinder
- Define the criteria for cylinder rejection
- Define the criteria for condemning a cylinder
- Other services
- Valve inspection and cleaning
- Compressor operations
- oxygen cleaning
- The basis for cylinder cleaning
- Visual inspection procedures
- Step by step walk-through of the inspection process
Course fees cover
- SDI eLearning, classroom hands-on training, certificate of completion, certification card.
- OSHA, CFR, DOT NFPA & CGA compliant instruction
- Approximately 4-6 hours of classroom and hands-on demonstrations
- Requalification required every three (3) years.
All of the equipment required for training is included in the course however, if a student intends to conduct cylinder inspections, it may be necessary to purchase appropriate tools, forms and equipment.